Questions about Clozemaster?
We've got you covered.
Don't see your question below? Let us know.
- What is Clozemaster ?
- How can I create a collection via CSV or TSV upload?
- What is a cloze and why would I want to master it?
- Where are the sentences from?
- How are the blanks in the sentences selected?
- Where are the frequency lists from?
- How does the text-to-speech audio work?
- I don't see the language I'm learning! Can you add it?
- Do I have to sign up?
- How much does Clozemaster cost?
- What's the difference between Play and Review?
- How do the reviews work?
- Oh no! An error!
- What is cloze-listening?
- For what languages is cloze-listening available?
- When I add sentences one by one, I need to choose a word to put between curly braces. Is there a way to do that faster?
- How can I remove a language pairing?
Clozemaster is a game where you improve your language skills by filling in the missing word for thousands of sentences. It aims to answer the question, "What should I do after Duolingo?" and provide a more sentence based and contextual learning experience to complement other language learning apps like Memrise and Anki.
The cloze deletion to test, or the blank in the sentence, is the least common word in the sentence within the 10,000 (or as many as possible) most common words in the language. In other words, for a given sentence all the words in the sentence are checked against the top 10,000 words in a frequency list for that language. The least common word is then used as the cloze test. In this way the vocab learned via clozemaster is the most difficult of the most common. If a quality frequency doesn't exist for given language, one is either generated from the sentences themselves or random cloze words are selected.
The frequency lists used are from Wiktionary, except for:
- The frequency list for Japanese was generated from JLPT vocabulary lists on http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/. All of the vocabulary is sorted by JLPT level, and higher precedence is given to kanji.
The frequency lists have been modified to remove common names and pronouns.
The text-to-speech audio depends on your browser, device and operating system at the moment. Higher quality text-to-speech and text-to-speech for more languages gets expensive fast, though hopefully Clozemaster Pro will one day make those options possible. For now Clozemaster text-to-speech audio works best on Chrome and Safari for desktop, as well as on the mobile apps when connected to the internet.
Most likely! We should be able to add most language pairings, though the number of sentences will vary, and we're working to add more all the time. Don't see the language you're learning or the language you speak? Let us know!
Nada. It's free to sign up and play, and always will be. We also offer Clozemaster Pro with advanced features such as more stats, favoriting sentences, and customizing game play to help keep Clozemaster running and support the continued development of awesome language learning tools. Clozemaster Pro is available for $8 per month or $60 per year with a 30-day money back guarantee. Sign up then go to Pro Signup to learn more!
Play is for playing new sentences. Some sentences you've already seen that are ready for review are also included with each round. As many as 5 ready-for-review sentences are randomly selected by default. Clozemaster Pro subscribers can change this number, for example setting the max number of reviews per round to zero in order to play just new sentences. Review is only sentences you've already seen that are ready for review and will include no new sentences.
Sentences are reviewed according to space repetition intervals like those used in Memrise and Anki. Default intervals are at 1 day, 10 days, 30 days, and 180 days based on how many times a sentence is answered correctly in a row (Pro subscribers can customize these intervals). If a given sentence is new and answered correctly, it will be ready for review in a day (25% mastered). If the same sentence is answered correctly again, it will then be ready for review in 10 days (50% mastered), and then 30 days (75% mastered). If answered correctly again it is considered 100% mastered and will be ready for review in 180 days, and will continue to come up for review every 180 days as long as it is continuously answered correctly. If a sentence is answered incorrectly at any point, it goes back to 0% mastered.
This isn't a question, but there will be errors nonetheless. Sentences and translations are from a user curated dataset at Tatoeba and frequency lists are in many cases generated from a dataset of TV and movie subtitles for a given language from Wiktionary. So there will probably be a few errors here and there. We've added the ability to report errors from within the game, and feel free to contact us anytime via the form below.
Cloze listening is play mode where you hear the sentence before you see it, and then you have a to fill in the missing word from context and/or what you heard. The goal is to improve your listening skills by hearing the sentence before you see it.
- Go to your Dashboard for that language pairing.
- Scroll to the bottom.
- Click or tap the red button with a trash icon.
- Confirm that you want to delete the language pairing.
Warning! Deleting a language pairing deletes all your progress for that language pairing and cannot be undone!
- Create a CSV (comma-separated values) or TSV (tab-separated values) file.
- Be sure the file extension is either CSV or TSV.
- Go to your Dashboard for the language you're learning.
- Click the Create button in the Cloze-Collections panel and create a collection.
- Click the + button next to your newly created collection.
- Select From a CSV/TSV.
- Select your file and file type, then click Submit.
- Processing may take a few minutes!
- Edit the sentences and/or add translations.
- Click Save.
- Format is:
- 5 columns, Sentence is mandatory. If Cloze is provided, first matching Cloze in Sentence will be used as the cloze word, otherwise a cloze word will be automatically selected for each sentence.
- If the sentence itself contains commas please sure to wrap the sentence in quotes, "".
- Anki and Readlang cloze formats are supported.
- You can edit sentences and choose different cloze words after uploading and before saving.
Here's a video demonstrating importing a CSV with a single sentence.
Still have questions? Let us know!