"Too much tu" - discussion on Duo

Really interesting that someone complained as per the title. When I joined ClozeM I was a bit unsettled to find more Formal than I expected, took a while to adjust. After a discussion in our club this evening it seems the formal Lei or Voi is still very much used and respected in Italy. Glad to hear it and very glad to be using it here. Thanks ClozeM!

2 Likes

I made the same point in a number of discussion threads back when I didnā€™t know any better than to be atā€¦ that other place. There seemed to be a REALLY strong institutional bias against it, probably due to the site founderā€™s artificial and plastic kumbaya view of ā€œwe are the worldā€. We are all one, we are all equals, we are allā€¦ ah, no, actually. Some people have earned some basic respect and marking a question wrong for using the Lei form is just asinine. (Unless itā€™s an audio question which uses the tu form of course, but Iā€™m talking about purely vocabulary questions.)

If I were to somehow run into Sergio Mattarella (and presumably his bodyguards were looking the other way to let me get close enough to speak to him), Iā€™m not likely to say ā€œEh Sergio, come stai??ā€ It would be disrespecting the office as much as the man.

Iā€™ll admit that I find it easier to stick to the tu formā€¦ or more precisely itā€™s easier to stick to ONE form, but Iā€™ve never received a knock back to a simple ā€œci possiamo dare del tu, vero?ā€ (Which I usually offer if Iā€™m addressed as ā€œSignoreā€ as well.) Iā€™ll sometimes qualify that with ā€œĆˆ piĆ¹ facile per meā€ as an explanation. At least in shops and restaurants, when in doubt you can just flip to the ā€œvoiā€ form given that the formal version of that is universally regarded as antiquated.

What I find more difficult to adapt to here is that there is a lot more passato remoto than Iā€™m used to. I never use it myself, and whether you come across it seems to depend on which region youā€™re in. Yes, Sicilia and Toscana, Iā€™m looking at you two in particular.

But then Toscana is also the only place where Iā€™ve been greeted with ā€œBuonaseraā€ at 1:30 in the afternoon too. They sometimes do things a little differently there.

2 Likes

Ciao LuciusV. Loved your comment (eh Sergio;-) and feel much the same. I learned v quickly to apologise for the ā€œtuā€ when discussing the price of a gondola ride etc. Was met with charm and understanding but with noticeably molto di piĆ¹ rispetto when I used the formal.

And here, whenever I ā€œjust donā€™t get itā€ I think ā€œAh itā€™s the Remoto!ā€ And youā€™re so right about Toscana where my friend Cristina in Lucca insists theyā€™re the only Italians who speak properly. Mamma mia, it will be joyous to breath Italian air once again, north south, anywhere. Tanti auguri, rispetto eh!

2 Likes

[details=ā€œEnglish Translationā€]You too.[/details] Mashed potatoes?

Yes, I found this a real failing of Duo - and frankly also of many of the standard language classes in the USA. I was just in Italy and Lei is still very much used, and I got far more comfortable using it while there myself.

1 Like

I also appreciate the emphasis on Lei and find it disconcerting that Google Translate tends to default to tu. When I finally visit Italy I wonā€™t have friends or family there and am hardly likely to be speaking to children, so I doubt Iā€™ll ever have reason to use the tu form.

1 Like

Pleased to say that in the last few minutes I was given several lei and voi sentences, so bravo Clozemaster!