Tom przystąpił do następnego pytania. (Sentence Note & Question)

• przystąpić (-pię -pisz) (pf), (impf) przystępować (przystępuję -jesz) do+Genitive= to join, accede, agree (to a demand), begin, set about

Some advice please … has ‘przystąpił’ been used in the correct context here? Would ‘postępował’ be better? Thanks!

“Przystąpił” doesn’t sound too great in this context. I think the most natural way to say “Tom proceeded to the next question.” in Polish would be to simply say “Tom przeszedł do następnego pytania”.

“Postępować” doesn’t really fit in here. I think the examples on Polish Wiktionary illustrate the use of this verb pretty well:

(1.1) Podczas instalacji oprogramowania postępowałem zgodnie z instrukcjami pojawiającymi się na ekranie.
(1.2) Jego choroba postępuje. Jest coraz gorzej.

In 1.1., “postępować” is used in the sense of “to act/behave in a certain way”, while in “1.2” it means roughly “to advance to the next stage” (only used when talking about inanimate things such as various processes, diseases, etc.)

These are the two main uses of “postępować”. It isn’t really used in the sense of “to continue” / “to go to the next step” when talking about people.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll report this one.