Same word always grouped serially in reviews

Since the update, something has changed with how reviews are randomized. If the same word is reviewed more than once in a review round, it is always grouped together. I just did a group of 100 reviews in French. I counted six times when the same word was twice in a row, and one time the same word was three times in a row. I notice this a lot with German too. I didn’t notice any times where I got the same word twice but separated. This is annoying, as it keeps me from being able to recall the word as it was just prompted 5 seconds before.

5 Likes

I’ve seen this, too.

3 Likes

Thanks for letting us know! What are the steps you’re following? Are you reviewing a single collection, or playing Review All? And to be sure - it’s just a matter of sentences with the same missing word being clustered together when reviewing, otherwise everything else seems to be as expected, is that right?

1 Like

it was ‘review all’ yesterday that I noticed it with a round length of 100 and text input. The reviews seem random otherwise. The words are in a random order, it’s just that when a word is up for review, the site prompts you to review multiple instances of that same word in direct succession.

1 Like

In my case, I was reviewing a single collection at a time.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering if this was just me underestimating the chances or if something really was unusual.
/I’m also reviewing single collections at a time.

1 Like

Just wanting to bump this up. There are still issues with the lack of randomness of reviews.

for example, I’ve got 1500 french words in queue at 100% to review. I just did a set of 50, ordered by % mastered, so there shouldn’t be any particular order. I had three ‘télé’, five ‘classe’, several ‘enquête’, and at least six ‘prêts’, either in sequence or clustered very closely together.

When I am just trying to clear out my queue, this doesn’t bother me, but the lack of randomness really takes away from the learning experience. For example, I didn’t remember ‘enquête’ at first, so I reset it. I don’t need five more instances of the same word immediately afterwards, I need them randomly spaced in my reviews so that I have more practice recalling the word when it isn’t on the top of my head.

3 Likes

Thanks for the bump! This is when you’re selecting the Review All option, is that right?

1 Like

Yes, this was Review All. In contrast, I just did a group of 50 of top 1000 to check and it seemed random.

1 Like

We made a change! Please let us know if you’re still seeing repeats when playing Review All.

4 Likes

“Mike”, you’re amazing:-)

Seems fixed! Thank you so much!