Review All and Play All Favorites

Thanks for all the feedback and bug reports with the May update! Super helpful. We’ve been making additional updates and squashing bugs non-stop.

Today we put up “Review All” and “Play All Favorites” options on the web so you can play reviews/favorites across all collections. Please let us know if you notice any issues. If all’s well on the web we’ll work on getting these options added to mobile as well.

Any other feedback or bug reports - please keep it coming! :slight_smile: Thanks again!

5 Likes

Thanks, Mike! Overall, things look good.

Regarding “Review All”, there’s no visual clue as to which category any particular sentence belongs to. It would help if the string “Reviewing: All” at the top of a sentence review page were replaced by something more informative (such as “Reviewing: Nouns” or “Reviewing: All: Nouns”). My guess is that the category selection just starts from the first category and proceeds through the others in order. Some of my categories now contain very large numbers of review sentences. If one of those categories happens to be at the top of the list, choosing to review all is effectively equivalent to choosing the top category. An option that chooses sentences from all categories might be more useful, though it would also have the disadvantage that it might be jarring to switch between, say, Fluency Fast Track, which does not have hints, and Nouns, which displays the base form of the noun (at least the way I play it). I’m not sure how Play All Favorites works – maybe it already chooses randomly across categories? Again, it would be helpful if the category were shown in the middle of the green bar near the top of the screen.

1 Like

No option for Listening with “Review All”? I understand that Listening isn’t the best choice for grammar exercises, but I used to really like playing random sets of Listening reviews across all the most common word groupings.

@alanf_us, it seems to give a random selection for me and not start with the first category.

1 Like

That said, I’m seeing the advantages of playing reviews by category now, so I can live without Listening for Review All! I’ve found it’s good to be able to concentrate on the sets I really need practice in, without having to work through thousands of other reviews to get to them.

(I tried to post this as an edit to my comment above, but it wouldn’t let me - Windows 10 Firefox.)

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

My guess is that the category selection just starts from the first category and proceeds through the others in order.

it seems to give a random selection for me and not start with the first category.

It should indeed be a random selection.

I’m not sure how Play All Favorites works – maybe it already chooses randomly across categories?

Yep! Play all favorites should choose randomly across collections as well.

No option for Listening with “Review All”?

There is as long as all the collections have text-to-speech available or your system has text-to-speech available for that language. This is going to get a bit technical: :slight_smile:

It may be that one of the collections you have ready for review is a collection you created (user created collections still rely on system text-to-speech), and I think you mentioned an issue in another topic that only the “Random” voice option was available when turning off the Clozemaster TTS option. This issue likely means that your system doesn’t support text-to-speech for that language (that issue should now be resolved by the way - the option to turn off Clozemaster TTS should no longer be available unless system text-to-speech voices are available).

For Firefox you might try going to about:config and turning on media.webspeech.synth.enabled. Otherwise you might try another browser like Google Chrome which usually has more text-to-speech voices available.

Long term we’ll likely get Clozemaster text-to-speech support added for user created collections as well to avoid this issue.

2 Likes

The Listening option comes up after I clear the reviews in my user-created category. Thank you!

1 Like