Requesting new language pairs

Hi Mike,
I hope you’re doing well.

I’ve requested some language pairs a long long time ago and I got a promise they could be doable. But since then they were not installed so I thought I make a thread regarding this again.
You’ve added these requests to your to-do list way back then so I’d really appreciate if you could finally introduce them.:slight_smile:

Could you please introduce the following language pairs into Clozemaster?

Hungarian - Croatian
Hungarian - Greek
Hungarian - Hebrew
Hungarian - Icelandic
Hungarian - Norwegian
Hungarian - Serbian

Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Hello @dirrrtypop! Thanks for the reminder and hope you’re doing well as well. :slight_smile: These indeed keep pushed further back in the backlog - I’ll bump them up in priority and see if we can’t get them added sooner. :+1:

1 Like

It’s time for a bump as far as I’m concerned.

Could you please add the requested pairs, please?

1 Like

Thanks for the bump! To confirm - you mean learning Croatian, Greek, Hebrew, etc. from Hungarian, in other with Hungarian as the native/base language, is that right?

1 Like

Hey, Mike,

Yes, you hit the nail on the head, that’s exactly what i was thinking.
I don’t know how complicated and time-consuming this process is but if it’s doable, I’d add
Bulgarian and Ukrainian as well so all in all that’d be 8 new pairs for us, Hungarian natives.

2 Likes

Hey @mike,

Just for your information: the link ‘Let us know’ on Learn language in context - Clozemaster seems to go nowhere.

So I would like to ask you to put the pair ‘Latin from German’ on the possible-languages-for-the-future-list. :blush:
(There should be around 15.000 sentences on Tatoeba, if I see correctly)
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Latin from French would also be great!

2 Likes

Euskera from Spanish. There are 4.070 phrases Euskera to Spanish in tatoeba and 4.478 phrases Spanish to Euskera.

1 Like

How do you all feel about using indirect translations from Tatoeba?

Some language pairings on Clozemaster use them, but we’ve been sticking to direct translations for recent additions/updates. All the language pairings @dirrrtypop requested, however, only have ~100 sentences or fewer with direct translations, and Latin from German/French only have ~500 directs each @Tarob @kadrian.

Do you think it’s worth using the indirect translations in these cases? Please check a few out on Tatoeba if you haven’t already (listed as “Translations of translations”). @alanf_us - also curious to get your input given your involvement with Tatoeba.

Thanks for any input! (Will also check out that link @Tarob, thanks for letting us know :slight_smile:)

1 Like

As you might have guessed, I think using indirect translations from Tatoeba is not a good idea in general. Far better for both Clozemaster and Tatoeba to send people over to Tatoeba to mark indirect translations as direct (if they are good translations). Or contact individuals at Tatoeba and ask them to do it. Then the direct translations can be imported.

I can see that you’re talking about language combinations that are quite possibly not going to be spoken by any speakers already at Tatoeba. Let’s say you’re a Hungarian speaker who wants to learn Icelandic, and there are no Hungarian/Icelandic speakers already at Tatoeba. There are two possibilities:

1. You also know a third language (let’s call it English) that has plenty of direct translations into both Hungarian and English, and you know all three languages well enough to determine whether a Hungarian-Icelandic indirect translation is a valid direct translation.

2. You don’t know three languages well enough to determine whether a Hungarian-Icelandic indirect translation passing through the intermediate language is a valid direct translation.

In the first case, I would say that you, as well as the Tatoeba and Clozemaster communities, would benefit most by joining Tatoeba (if you’re not already a member) and marking suitable indirect Hungarian-Icelandic translations direct. Then Clozemaster can import them. Even though you’ve gone through the work of marking the sentences, you can get the additional benefit of doing cloze exercises on the sentences you’ve already marked. Hopefully this extra work will pay off for you because you’ll learn Icelandic better.

Unfortunately, in the second case, you’re not really in a position to mark translations, but you wouldn’t get much out of working with unreviewed indirect translations, either. In fact, you might have to unlearn some of the wrong things you would learn.

3 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know there were so few german-latin pairs.
Personally I would prefer it if Clozemaster used only direct translations.
Especially with the Latin base which includes highly complicated sentences from literature, a bad indirect translation might do more harm than good.
Knowing all this, using English-Latin makes more me sense for me.

I therefore want to anull my request for now.
I might rerequest when there are more translations though :wink:

3 Likes

I will use this post to request some new languages pairs.

Aragonese from Spanish
Asturian from Spanish
Leonese from Spanish
Mirandese from Portuguese

Some of these don’t have a lot of phrases in tatoeba so I don’t think it would be able to create them. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the request/post! We’re working on coming up with a way to start getting sentences added for smaller languages so we can get them added to Clozemaster. At the moment the goal is likely going to be 1,000 sentences per language. It will likely still take us some time, and will likely be slow to start, but that’s the goal! :slight_smile: If you know any who speaks the languages you listed natively/fluently and would be interested in helping translate please let us know.

4 Likes

Galician from Portuguese, this one has more than 2k sentences on Tatoeba.
Catalan from Italian, this one has more than 3k.
Catalan from Portuguese, +3k
Galician from Italian, +1k

Italian and Portuguese from Swedish, both more than 10k on tatoteba.

4 Likes

Hello,

Any chance of English from Slovak?

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but would be really great to see
German <-> Norwegian Bokmål

2 Likes

Personally given the situation in the world - I think it’d be great to add plenty of Ukrainian pairings. And please make sure there is a fluency fast track for it - the current Ukrainian English doesn’t have it and really is keeping me from using it.

3 Likes

So I added my own “fluency track” for Ukrainian ex English by importing almost 10k sentences from tatoeba (they have an astounding 200k, although there are definitely duplicates)

It was quite a bit of work especially as I had to spot a few sentences manually that somehow did not get a cloze assigned. It was about 10 errors in 10k sentences, way better than when I tried this for Romanian, where about 1 in 20 sentences had a problem. I have found I pick up Ukrainian way slower than other languages I learnt, and despite completing courses on Duolingo, drops and Mondly I still was struggling with the random word track.

I don’t think the set is ideal by any stretch of the imagination, as I found 10 occurrences of very simple words when I got started but I suppose it will get better as I advance - it’s sorted by occurrence

Anyway it’s a shared collection free for others to enjoy.

8 Likes

I wish I had the capacity to add Ukrainian but my head says “Sorry, no can do”. I take my hat off to you! :+1:

4 Likes

Agree It’s tough! My Romanian knowledge helps here and there as it has some Slavic influences but a lot of the Ukrainian words just look so similar to each other to me, I struggle to differentiate . I guess my head says no to and it’s down to my heart :two_hearts:

3 Likes