Request: "Time expressions" category

It would be helpful if you could add a grammatical category for sentences containing expressions relating to time: hours of the day, days of the week, months of the year, seasons, and so on. Examples: “I saw her on May fourth.” “I was there from the eighth to the twenty-third.” “It’s only a quarter of five.” These expressions involve special challenges in every language I’ve encountered. I would be especially eager to see it added for Russian (from English), since that is what I am studying now.

3 Likes

Thanks for the request! And good idea - we’ll see if we can get a Grammar Challenge added.

2 Likes

I think that’s a great idea, and more broadly, would love to see a “Numbers” category. There used to be one for French from English when I first started playing a couple of years ago, but it was mostly limited to just a few fairly simple numbers like 20 repeated over and over. I’d love to see a collection with numbers of every kind - basic numbers, large numbers, prices, times, years, percentages, fractions, etc. I’ve been meaning to put one together myself, but haven’t gotten around to it.

Large French numbers are hard to understand when spoken quickly (“mille neuf cent quatre-vingt-dix-neuf” for 1999) and you can hardly get too much practice! I recently bought an audiobook lesson that specifically drills on French numbers (Mastering French Numbers - French Audiobook in case anyone’s interested).

3 Likes