Rankings don’t match

Web dashboard shows a current weekly ranking which does match iOS, but if you click on ‘view’ and select ‘everyone, this week, points’ from the pulldown menu it is different from the ‘Everyone’ in the app. For example Im currently #240 in weekly French and the web dashboard says #240 but the ‘view’ button shows me as #223. There is the same error in monthly and all-time. And I’ve noticed it in all the languages I’m currently practicing, Japanese, French, and Danish—not just one language.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that too; the Android and web counts are different, and the position doesn’t gel either. Earlier today I had the highest point count for the week on Web (but not on Android) but notwithstanding that I was showing as second on Web.

I don’t think it’s worth worrying about. When the new stats were introduced earlier this week the weekly stats were completely out of whack; fewer than 10 people had any points at all, and some of the points that I scored on Monday morning (which was before the current week started) don’t seem to be counted on Android but are on Web.

The monthly and all time figures seem OK as far as I can tell; I expect that the weekly stats will sort themselves out once the new system ticks over to a new week. In the interim I’m not unduly fussed about my ranking for a week. The only issue for me is that some weeks (such as this one) I limit my time on the site by making sure I don’t go past the person in first position for the week (because I know that I DO spend too much time here, though I suppose that speaks well of the site), and that’s harder to do this week because I play across both Web and Application. Soooo… do I stay behind the Web number, or the App number? As mentioned above I already overshot by using the App number as my basis today.

I still expect it to resolve itself by next Monday, and as with all time that’ll be here sooner than we expect or want. 2 and a bit weeks to Christmas…

In Danish (from French), I’m #8 all-time in points in the iOS app, but #6 on the Web. For some reason, on the Web, the list doesn’t include the #1 person or the #7 person, that is why I’m #6 on the Web.

Thanks! This is helpful - we’re working on a fix.

1 Like

Fixing these little bugs is good, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that the new rankings system is quite good! It will help diffuse a singular focus on accumulating points in the all-time ranking. Maybe by giving lots of little stats it will encourage a few more people to stick around to learn languages in context…

1 Like

Nobody’s questioning that, but the numbers ARE out of whack. In Italian the top person for the week has the same score on both Android and Web at 76,456. I’m next with 60,320 on Web but only 54,440 on Android. I thought this may have related to the ones that I played on Monday morning between the introduction of the system and the week ticking over but the difference is 5,880, while the gap in my monthly number is 2,696, again with Web higher. Barcarolle, in third for the weekly is the other way around; only 20,024 on the web but 31,848 on Android. Some are exactly the same on both, some are out by a bit, and from 7th through to 10th for the week different people are shown.

So, clearly something DID break.

1 Like

To me, Web and Android seem to be lined up again for the top 10 weekly positions in Italian.

The small monthly variance that I noted earlier has gone as well.

2 Likes

Great! Beat me to it :slight_smile: Please let us know if you notice any further issues.

Glad to hear! :raised_hands:

Thanks again @Kimo for letting us know.

2 Likes

I appreciate the effort, but it’s not fixed. For Japanese, my weekly pulldown menu is correct, but the all-time is incorrect on the Web. For French, both the weekly pulldown and the all-time are incorrect. Again, this is when the “view” button is pressed on the Web dashboard compared to iOS. The discrepancy is more obvious to someone like me who doesn’t rank high in many languages. The worse the ranking (higher number) in a specific language, the more the system appears to be off. It’s still showing me 20 or so spots higher in French for weekly and all-time, when I’m around 266 in reality. Japanese is spot on because I’m 48 in weekly, but my 58 all-time is enough to start showing a 9 or 10 place divergence in the Web stats, and sure enough my Japanese all-time is incorrect in the Web.

2 Likes

An interesting observation. There appears to be a lag time in the Web weekly pulldown menu stats vs the iOS app. Almost like it’s trying to correct itself, but isn’t quite making it. As I was typing my last message, the discrepancy in my French weekly stats went down, but were still off. All-time stats are still considerably off in both French and Japanese.

2 Likes

There still seems to be an issue in Android, my points tally for this week/month don’t match the web version, the web version being the correct one.

1 Like

There maaaay be one little glitch still. Last week when the new system was introduced all of the weekly numbers vanished, which I assumed to be a transition thing. Between 04:30 Monday local / 17:30 Sunday UTC (which is when I got up), and midnight UTC, everyone was accumulating a fresh set of weekly numbers.

I didn’t think much about it at the time but when I opened my dashboard this morning (around 05:30 Monday local / 18:30 Sunday UTC; I slept in) an “N/A” caught my eye. It was my leaderboard position.

“Huh, that’s odd”, I thought. Looking at the leaderboards… it doesn’t have a weekly value for 14 to 20 December, but instead a number for 14 December only. (Which it is in my timezone, but not for most of the planet yet.)

The upshot is that there was only one person on the points leaderboard, and nobody on many of the others:
MondayIsAWeek

If last week was any guide, this will revert to a “normal” week at midnight UTC.

1 Like

Yaah… it switched at midnight Sunday, New Zealand time… appropriate for myself and ten other people here and in Fiji, but probably disconcerting for the rest of youse :flushed:

1 Like

In order to support the additional metrics we had to switch the rankings to use dates in your time zone (vs UTC). So the leaderboard you see on the web at the moment is for that date range in your time zone. As other users get to that date range in their time zone, their stats will show up there as well. We still need to get the mobile app leaderboard caught up to show the additional metrics and not show the UTC.

UTC leaderboards have the benefit of everyone playing the same time zone, but the downside of it being weird hours for some people. Showing the leaderboard in your time zone lets us show the added metrics and means everyone is playing the week in hours that suit them, but means the stats are a bit more murky at the start of the time period and the end of the time period as reported here.

As with everything here - we’re trying it out. If it proves to be problematic we’ll come up with a better solution. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

On the website, I’m seeing a discrepancy in the all-time point rankings between my profile page and the leaderboard page. On my profile page, I’m listed as 38th with 7.3 million points, and on the leaderboard page, I’m listed as 35th with 7.2 million points. It looks like the leaderboard is showing data for the all-time points list that’s a week or two old.

1 Like