No queda otra.

where is “choice” coming from here? I think this is a mistranslation

1 Like

This sentence is an excellent example of how difficult it is to learn a language when there is the expectation that words are translated ver batim to express ideas and concepts. The sentence translates roughly as “no other remains/stays.” The idea being conveyed is that if nothing else remains, then there is nothing else to choose.

Quedar is an interesting verb in Spanish and is used to express common ideas in English that do not translate word for word in an obvious way.

Quick example: In English, we would naturally say something like, “I have one left.”

A native Spanish speaker would try to literally translate that to mean, “Tengo una izquierda,” or something like that… Hahaha…

However, that idea is expressed in Spanish like, “Me queda uno.”

Literal English translation… To myself it remains one.

Words don’t mean words. They are tools we use to communicate the ideas in our heads with the people around us.

This longwinded post is the result of language transfer lessons and that spanish guy on youtube. Hahaha…

I hope this information is helpful to someone!

17 Likes

It is helpful. Thank you!

1 Like

It’s not a mistranslation, but it is a poor one. A more literal translation is “There remains [but] one” in the sense of the listener used to have multiple items to choose between, but now there’s only one.

3 Likes

Excellent explanation!

1 Like

Maybe “there’s just one left”.

1 Like