New feature - Clozemaster Radio 🎧

Hello Clozemasters!

A new feature for the mobile has been included in the latest release (2.7) - Clozemaster Radio :tada:

Clozemaster Radio lets you simply listen to sentences played at random. At the moment it plays the sentence audio, then there’s a pause, then it plays the translation audio, a pause, then the sentence audio with a pause again before moving on to a new sentence.

The goal is to be able to keep practicing the language you’re learning hands-free and on the go. The pauses are meant to give you time to translate and/or repeat what you hear, aloud or to yourself.

At the moment Clozemaster Radio depends on your device’s available text-to-speech options, so if you don’t see the Radio button after tapping Play, it means the app wasn’t able to find text-to-speech voices available for the language pairing you’re playing.

This feature is currently experimental / in beta and we’re looking for your feedback! The quality of the voices seems to be sometimes surprisingly good, and sometimes surprisingly bad :slight_smile: Long term we’ll aim to get voices coming from Clozemaster for the target language which tend to be a bit better quality and should be available cross-device.

We’re also thinking of making the “pattern” (sentence-pause-translation-pause-sentence-pause) editable, and perhaps adding “repeats” (loop through everything I’ve heard so far after every 10 sentences) for more practice, but we’re curious to hear what you think!

Thanks for any feedback and hope it’s useful!

3 Likes

Mike. Grazie, non vedo l’ora :wink:

3 Likes

hello Mike! this feature is a must for a hands-free learning. i used to have it on another program. it is a great feature, my only complaint they used way too much repetition . if the sentences are played at random as they are now in clozemaster i would be very happy! waiting for my italiano on-the-go clozemaster radio ASAP!

4 Likes

Excellent

This is exactly the process I use - record a sentence; pause; translation

EXCEPT I give the English first, prompting me to come up with the target answer. Then the recording of myself saying it.

Do you think that a similar feature within Clozeradio is possible? I’d love that.

Keep up the excellent work - and I’ll take the opportunity to ask again: Swahili, please??!! :smiley:

6 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback! We’ll aim to make the “pattern” (sentence + pause + translation + pause + sentence + pause) editable in an upcoming release such that you can change the order, remove the pauses, add another repetition of the sentence, etc., for example just (sentence), or (translation + pause + sentence + sentence), etc.

@JioMc interesting idea about record + playback, thanks! And Swahili is a work in progress - we’re working towards a way to get more people contributing to Tatoeba for the languages with fewer sentences so we can get them added here.

5 Likes

Cheers, much appreciated :pray:

1 Like

I use Glossika daily and the way I prefer to use it is to turn off the English translation and only listen to the sentences in my target language with a super short pause between sentences for me to repeat before it plays the next sentence. I’ll look down at the written English translation if I get a sentence that I didn’t understand. The goal is just to work on my listening skills while working in some shadowing. I could potentially do the same thing with ClozeMaster radio if there was no spoken english translation component.

4 Likes

@barcarolle @JioMc @valddu check it out - you can now change the playback pattern.

So you should be able to just have it play the target language sentence, multiple times, with or without pauses, etc.

I just noticed the Sentence button should be probably say Text, but hopefully it still makes sense until we can get that changed.

Curious to hear what you think!

6 Likes

Mike! Grazie mille! Finally my Clozemaster goes for a walk with me! Practical, convenient, sensible and giving me lots of freedom. And ,yes, while the English translation is garbled sometimes, I still consider Closemaster Radio my preferred way of learning. Thanks again!

5 Likes

Mike, thanks for yet another “choice” and for staying so in touch with us. Both greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

One obvious plus for Clozemaster Radio feature is no scores, making it a very liberating thing . I would even go for a leaderboard feature to be optional. Gaming is fun sometimes, but as any gaming it makes you do unwise choices. Thank you for giving this non- competitive, false self-imposed obligation free option!

7 Likes

Fantastic.
Can’t recall any other language system/app that does this, in this way. It feels like a quiet revolution is in the offing :grin:
Can radio sets be downloaded by premium members?
So impressed.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback and glad to hear! :raised_hands:

You can download a collection, and then as long as your device has TTS for that language, you should be able to play the radio in offline mode as well - do you have something else in mind?

2 Likes

I don’t know what TTS is, but I look forward to trying it out. Cool :+1:

2 Likes

TTS = text to speech

3 Likes

This is a great feature, but I’d really rather not hear the translations, I think it a very bad habit in language learning. Is there a way to turn off the translation?

Also, I was wondering how there are TTS for Bulgarian? It seems to play sometimes but not always (i.e. not in my collections), and there is not a “replay” button like there is for French.

Love the app, just upgraded to a year membership.

1 Like

Yes - select Radio and go to the first sentence

Click the indicated wheel
Here, you can edit your preferences

:+1:

2 Likes

I would actually prefer if there would be an option to have the radio affect progression. I don’t care about the scores but it would make sense if I could progress by just listening.

Simple. Just choose Listening instead of Vocabulary when this window pops up at the beginning of a new session.

2 Likes

Sure, I use that all the time. But I meant the radio feature here.