Doing multiple languages every day — pros and cons?

I’m starting to wonder whether doing all of my languages every day is good or bad for me, or maybe I should focus on one language a day.

I think the major benefit of doing them all every day is that one gets better support from the system, with spaced repetition and streaks. But the downside is the risk of mixing them all up, and never really being able to fully immerse oneself in each language.

I have now been doing all my languages daily for about half a year, and of course I have learnt a lot of words, but I’m not sure my fluency has improved equally, since I’m always jumping from one language to another.

What do you think?

2 Likes

I’ve tried different systems, like one in the morning, one in the evening (doesn’t work well due to work schedules) and different days (doesn’t feel good since I don’t have equally much time every day). Now I try to do every day 100 reviews and 100 new sentences in French and the same for Spanish. If I don’t make it, I’ll just pick up where I left the next day. Of course I also have to do catch ups on reviews this way, and I usually do them on weekends.

I have no idea what would be the ideal way, but I personally haven’t had the problem of mixing languages, and this system feels okay. I have more problems in balancing between listening practice (podcasts) between these languages, because I always feel like I’m concentrating more on one than the other.

2 Likes

I’ve pondered that question for many years. Unfortunately, I have no answer. However, I do believe that our brains are capable of learning that way (doing them concurrently every day). It may not be as efficient, but it is possible. Our brains will sort it out, especially when done consistently. This is my opinion of course … and I am not a polyglot nor, some would say, do I even speak my native language with any great level of sophistication. However, I do love languages and language learning. For every article that I have read about doing it one way, I have read another article about doing it another way. So I have tried various methods, as I am sure you and everyone else here has as well.
What I have decided is that, for me, my chances of becoming “fluent” (my definition … sitting at a pub and carrying on a conversation comfortably with a native speaker) in any language without actually living in the language for a period of time is probably very low. Therefore, staying “current” in the language until/if that time ever comes can only make it easier when/if it does. So, my (rambling) conclusion is that it doesn’t matter. With Clozemaster I have found a way to easily do what I have always wanted to do – study them concurrently, daily. It is perfect for that approach to learning. It keeps the languages fresh in my mind every day without inducing boredom. I just use the number of new words per day to adjust my emphasis on one language over the other.

2 Likes

Dac. What an interesting read! I’ve tried adding various languages to my beloved Italian, but only Latin has survived;-( and only at beginner pace. I love the sound of Russian and Portuguese, I’d love to learn them but my heart and head are so tuned in to Italian that there’s not enough cervello left. A dopo…

2 Likes

Thank you, Floria … good luck with your continuing studies of Italian! It is one of those languages that I have been on and off with over the years (and, incidently, the language of my grandparents). With Clozemaster, I have decided that I don’t have to drop it for something more practical to me. I can work it concurrently, just at a much different pace.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the insights, folks!

Personally, I’m struggling on with all my languages on a daily basis, but sometimes I’m drowning in reviews, to the point that I don’t have the time to play any new sentences. I am now experimenting with the review settings, extending the review intervals; that should at least give me a temporary lease. :wink:

1 Like

Ciao morbrorper, I sympathise, coping with one language and the reverse is all I can handle. I changed my review dates and a tsunami hit me so I changed back to Cloze standard and the waters calmed a little. It is quite an art to find that happy balance. My best to you, as you Review :slight_smile:

2 Likes