Dobry dzień.

Of course I’ve heard ‘dzień dobry’ said many times in whilst in Poland, however, I don’t think I’ve ever heard ‘dobry dzień’. The translation is given as ‘good afternoon’. Would ‘dzień dobry’ be said on a morning and ‘dobry dzień’ on an afternoon? Or are they both interchangeable and either can be said, until evening time? Is ‘dobry dzień’ quite uncommon? Thanks

I am utterly perplexed by this sentence, no Pole would use it as a greeting. The only reasonable translation is “a good day”.

Well, perhaps you could say it ironically, or if you wanted to allude to the standard Czech or Slovak greeting (dobrý den / dobrý deň). I think you can go ahead and flag it next time you encounter it.

The standard “dzień dobry” is used throughout the day, so it corresponds to both “good morning” and “good afternoon”. In the evening, we usually switch to “dobry wieczór”.

Come to think of it, it’s a bit weird that the word order is reversed in the daytime greeting, but not in the evening greeting.

2 Likes

Thanks Adam. You have confirmed my thoughts exactly. I’ve visited Poland approximately 30 times and I’ve never heard anyone say ‘dobry dzień’. I’ll report it the next time that I see it.