Advice re "Speaking" option:

It’s probably so obvious, but can anyone tell me how the “Speaking” Record button works, and whether it records just the word or the sentence? Using a tablet, by the way. Many thanks in anticipo.

1 Like

You should be able to click/tap the record button and then say the word or the entire sentence - it should be able to handle both. You should see the text of what you’re saying appear as you say it, and it should show as correct/incorrect once you stop speaking. Please let us know of course if it doesn’t seem to be working as expected. Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks Mike. Will try again.

Later: tried tapping and speaking the word, tried putting word in then tapping - both times record button bongs on and off too quickly to record anything. Have also tried tap-and-hold on Record, but no go. No worries, I’ll continue happily with Vocab etc.

I just tried it on a desktop, and it works very well. Wow! This is the first time I’m trying it and I like it. Too bad we can’t hear ourselves, but that’s ok.

1 Like

Ciao gizzard. Thanks for info. I will try Speaking on the computer; perhaps working on this tablet is the problem. Otherwise all is great, loving Cloze. Ciao!

1 Like

Hi again. Speaking works just fine on computer but sadly not on Samsung tablet (Firefox and Chrome). Such a shame as it’s a fantastic learning tool.Thanks for trying to help. Happy learning;-)

Edit: doesn’t work on phone either tho all “mic” permissions turned on. Can’t think what the problem is. Settings set to: Mic - ask first (cannot change this) and have clicked “Allow” when asked for permission by Cloze. Any help from Mike would be really appreciated.

1 Like

“Mike”, hello again. I checked all the “permissions” etc and gave “Allow” when a Cloze prompt for mic appeared. All seems to be in order but still the Record button bing-bongs on and immediately off.

Can use it on computer but not on phone or tablet. This would be such a bonus - but please enjoy your weekend, there’s no immediate rush. Best regards… Floria7

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up @Floria7 and letting us know there’s an issue on phone and tablet! We’ll get to work on a fix and post any updates here.

3 Likes

Sorry to be such a pain ;-(

2 Likes

No problem at all / very much the opposite - thanks again for the bug report and apologies it’s not working! :bug: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Mike. “Speaking”. Still not working on android tab or fone, so shall I just take it this option is for computer only? Best regards… Floria7.

Ciao gizzard. On computer have just completed lots of Reviews. It’s really interesting to speak these exercises other than working more or less in silence. I have now learnt to say “ciò” correctly! :slight_smile:

Ps. The “Listening” option is just as useful; I still battle a bit with listening so this is great. I now leave “Listening” on all the the time. To get the gist of a sentence is the trick, I think. Ciao👋

2 Likes

Yes, I do lots and lots of reviews as well. I have all “my” languages set on “listening” and “text input”, except for the Spanish (started only a few months ago, so I find it a bit more difficult). For Spanish, I have it set on “listening” and “multiple choice”.
Flora, I see that you’re doing Italian from English. You don’t want to try the reverse, also?

1 Like

I really like your “plan”. I’m really hooked on Listening now, always the weakest. I thought my accent was pretty good but “Speaking” tells me otherwise, so I spend a few minutes on the computer and then tornerò al tablet to listen to Giorgio e Carla again. The reverse tree? Hmm, perhaps I should try. A dopo…

2 Likes

Yes, this feature is still in development and seems to work best on the computer for the moment. Phone and tablet support depends much more on device and browser. We added some better error handling so at least now if it doesn’t work it should tell you :slight_smile: We’re hoping to get improved support as well as support in the mobile app added soon!

Ciao “Mike”, you are most kind to keep us in the picture. I have since discovered the real benefits of the “Listening” option on all devices and already notice an improvement, so I’m more than happy. I am so enjoying learning here! Ciao,

1 Like

@gizzard. Adesso ho cominciato English from Italian. Wish me luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Si, buena fortuna, Floria! Spero che ti piaccia!

1 Like

Grazie Gizzard, e c’è una scelta di voce che è piacevole. Have a good weekend!

1 Like